Monday 14 September 2009

My Cycle Went Renagade (And My Life Went Crazy!)

Why, you ask, did I start a blog if I didn't intend on writing regularly? Hmmm... is about all I have to say. It's shameful to think that it's been 2 weeks since I've written anything over here. You can't see me, but I'm hanging my head. I knew that it had been a while, but I had no idea that it had been that long until I was over at The Infertile Breeder's blog (anxiously checking to see if she had updated with her beta results) and I noticed her blogroll. And low and behold, there I was... last post: 2 weeks ago. Horrible.

Sooooooo.... let's play a little catch up, shall we? My cycle has always been a short one, about 10-12 days on the front end and about 12-14 on the back. Only once (ONCE), in the years that I have been monitoring, did I ovulated late. (It was at 16 days. The horror!) So, as I progressed past Day 1, and onto, you know, more exciting days like day 7 or 8 or 9, I began to get a little anxious that I hadn't heard from the coordinator at my RE's office to have the big talk about the ever exciting priming and the all important ordering of meds. After a few gentle reminders (THAT I WAS GOING TO OVULATE VERY SOON!) we started furiously emailing back and forth in order to get everything lined up. And I have to say, as a side note, she was AMAZING! I got tossed around the fertility pharmacys like a hot potato. I actually had to talk to 4 different pharmacys before I landed at the right one and my coordinator did not let anyone drop the ball and made sure that they had all my paperwork. And in the end, the cost of my drugs went from $6500 to $175!! Yipee me!!

Anyway, back at the Big O Homestead... everything was in perfect order for my totally like clockwork ovulation to take place somewhere between days 10 and 12. And guess what?? Oh, you know you've guessed it... Nothing happened until day 14! Cripes! What's that old saying about the watched ovary?

So, now we're one egg down the hatch and we're priming the ol' pump or female hormonal system or whatever we're doing... actually I haven't had a moment to concentrate on this cycle really. My job has taken on a life of it's own again. I produce commercials and I am expected (and kind of need) to be available to my clients and my productions 24/7. It ebbs. It flows. And lately it's been like white water rapids. I've been through worse, but it has definitely not left me much time to contemplate, or worry, or anything (like SLEEP! or blog.)

I feel like I got a few too many balls in the air. I try to make my son a priority whenever we are together. Full focus. Quality not quantity. ('Cause that's what I got to give, so hopefully the old saying is true.) Then there's my house which is currently so disheleved, with piles of mail here and piles of laundry there and piles of piles of piles (you get the picture) that we look like we should be on the news being interviewed about hoarding. And of course I need to try and keep my marriage alive: time with husband. And the full time insane job. (Last night I was still working at midnight!) Oh yeah, have you heard, I'm thinking about having another baby and juggling all that a medicated cycle has to offer. Can you say crazy? I can.

Yes, Virginia, there is a limit to feminism and I think I've found it. Scientists say that women are better multitaskers then men. I totally believe it. But why do some of us feel like we need to test our limits?! Are we really crazy or just really, really smart? I'm going to vote for smart because isn't true genius just one small step away from madness? Or was that a crazy man that said that? (Anyway, who wants to label themselves "crazy" when there is a better alternative?) It's a balancing act. One that I am in awe of, as one fabulous woman after another does it successfully, day after day. If they can do it, so can I! (I think.) Now, I just have to figure out how to get my cycle back on track.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back to the blogosphere!

    Congrats on scoring some cheap meds. I'm glad to hear that you're moving ahead with your cycle. Being a couple days off with ovulation shouldn't affect your protocol, right? Here's hoping you're still on track.

    I have to admit that doing IVF kindof makes me forget about my existing DD sometimes. It's weird, but you get teleported back to the time and mindframe when you were childless, chatting with your online IF friends, and obsessing about follicles and whatnot. Oh, and I've been a neglectful wife, too. Don't worry, buddy.. we'll get our shit together once we get through the hell of IF, however it turns out.

    Keep me posted! :-)

    ReplyDelete